
I'm still here, and am happy to announce that not much is going on! We are still in our
isolation mode, I am still about hitting crazy by the end of each day, I still feel that isolation can make one beyond exhausted (hence the no posts), but I am thrilled to have a healthy daughter. We had a fun Easter, maybe I'll post some pics later, and this picture pretty much describes the week. Yes, under the fluff of a dress is a little toilet and yes those are ten toes that are not painted this week...so you now know how my mental mood is! So, McKenzie isn't really getting the whole potty training thing. Believe me, seriously, believe me, it isn't for a lack of trying. A few weeks ago, someone mentioned that I should try to potty train her again since we were stuck at home anyways. I pretty much gasped and said absolutely not! One thing that I'm finding out about myself is that I can't handle too much and this whole isolation, medicine, illness stuff was already too much, I needed to put up a wall to everything else and proclaim that those can be tended to later (I still haven't made a cardiology appointment for my son...just can't face too much I suppose...self preservation). But, last week I determined that the guilt I would later endure over not even trying the potty thing during this time would be too great, so I dove in and am in it full force. I'm telling you, potty training a special needs child just isn't normal...potty training in itself isn't normal, but throw the special needs part in...holy cow! So, seriously, please don't comment with any advice, believe me, I've read the books, but funny, I can't find a book on how to potty train with FAS. Well, one of my books about FAS said that usually a child with FAS is potty trained by age 12. I always laughed and said, "Good, I'm not even going to try until age 11". Well, now I'm starting to possibly believe this textbook. Seriously, my sweet child is more than able cognitively to be potty trained, there is just something not ready physiologically, which makes everyone involved a bit frustrated. Last night, I am proud to say her amazing brother got her to go potty on the toilet! The parade we held for that 3 year old was probably heard in Mesa and the presents we dumped in her lap along with the promises of fun...were pretty ridiculous, but man, Kirk and I were at the point of promising Millions for this girl to "get it". I won't mention that today she has been in several different pairs of princess underwear and that there has been no shouts of hallelujah today, but God gave us a fun 5 minutes last night and we are equipped to press on!
2 comments:
Hi Kristen! Glad to see you back! I have been thinking about you and praying for your family. I can only imagine the "stress" of what you are going through, and am not going to try and say "I understand, or I know". Just know that you are in my thoughts and prayers, and remember God's mighty arms are wrapped around you through all triumphs and trials! And YAY Kenzie for that 5 minutes of whoo hoo..she did it! *Hugs* to all of you.
Thank you for your honest insignt in to your day. I miss you and am praying.
Post a Comment